The transition to Moodle 2 as the CLE”s online course delivery system is in full swing at UCSF. For background information on the move to Moodle 2, see Brian Warling’s post titled “Moodle 2: A Quick Preview.” We would like to take the opportunity to provide UCSF faculty and staff with additional information and instructions for moving forward with CLE course migrations.
Although files cannot be migrated directly from Moodle 1.9 (the version currently being used at as the main CLE site) to Moodle 2, many resources and activities can be. No user data (e.g. assignment submissions, quiz scores, forum posts, etc) can be migrated to Moodle 2; this information will remain available via Moodle 1.9. The current list of items that LTG staff can migrate can found here.
Some tips to keep in mind when preparing for a course migration are as follows:
The Book resource can contain a large amount of content including text, links to outside resources, images, videos and documents hosted on the CLE. The module can be used to create a book-like website inside of a course on the CLE. By organizing content in a Moodle 1.9 course into Books when appropriate, we can migrate resources that may not be possible to migrate individually.
Are you using a course template? Most schools use a standardized CLE course template. If you are not using a template, think about creating one before migrating to Moodle 2. This will help provide more consistency throughout courses in a program, and also provide a better learning experience for students.
Course migrations can take up to two weeks to complete, so get your request in as early as possible for the smoothest transition!
Submit multiple course migrations requests in one message by emailing email@example.com or use the Moodle 2 Migration Request Form (located in the Moodle 2 Support Center) and include the following information:
- A list of the courses needed to be migrated with appropriate semester and enrollment method.
- The resources and activities you want migrated from the Moodle 1.9 course to Moodle 2 course. Let us know if you want all possible resources and activities migrated; if you want only specific activities and resources migrated; or if you want to start fresh in Moodle 2.
- We can also provide all of the course files from your Moodle 1.9 course on a DVD for your records. Just let us know if this is something you want included with the course migrations!
- Provide the names of faculty that you want assigned to the course as instructors. If this information is the same as the Moodle 1.9 course, just let us know and we can replicate.
Lastly, below are resources to help with CLE course migrations:
- Moodle 2 Online Workshop: A self-paced course that will teach you how to perform the basic tasks associated with building a course or collaboration space in Moodle 2.
- Moodle 2 Support Center: The Support Center provides instructional resources for Moodle 2 users. This includes training videos, documents, a user forum and updates from system administrators.
- For migration consultation requests, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and a Learning Technologies staff member will contact you to set up an appointment.
Image credit: Serge Melki