Archives and Special Collections has just submitted its annual report to the National Endowment for the Humanities on the collaborative mass digitization grant The San Francisco Bay Area’s Response to the AIDS Epidemic.
At the one year point of The Bay Area’s Response to the AIDS Epidemic, the consortium of UCSF Library Archives & Special Collections, San Francisco Public Library History Center/Hormel LGBTQIA Center, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society, and UC Merced have made significant headway towards our goal of digitizing and publishing 127,000 pages from our various AIDS History collections.
To date we have published seven complete collections on Calisphere, and we have scanned and published the poster component of UCSF’s AIDS History Project Ephemera collection. Thirteen other collections have nearly completed the digitization process and are undergoing quality control checks before being harvested into Calisphere.
40,518 pages of materials have to date been uploaded to the Nuxeo Digital Asset Management System we use for managing and publishing to Calisphere. Some of these have gone to active publication, some are still undergoing quality assurance (QA) procedures. An additional 35,061 pages have been scanned, but have yet to be ingested into the DAMS.
We have also given talks at four library and archives conferences in the past year to share details about our project.
In the coming year we will continue digitizing and publishing collection materials to Calisphere.org and begin planning online exhibits for Calisphere and Digital Public Library of America that will serve to unite and interpret the collections across our partnering institutions.
Digitized collections currently online:
- ACT-UP Golden Gate Records, 1988-1993, MSS 98-47 https://calisphere.org/collections/308/
- Barbara Cameron Papers, 1968-2003 (SFPL GLC 63) https://calisphere.org/collections/27002/
- Shanti Project Records, 1982-1994, MSS 98-48 https://calisphere.org/collections/19989/
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel (ALRP) records, 1984-2000, (#2000-46) GLBT HS https://calisphere.org/collections/469/
- Bobbi Campbell Diary, 1983-1984, MSS 96-33 https://calisphere.org/collections/3684/
- Mobilization Against AIDS Records, 1984-1995,
MSS 95-03 https://calisphere.org/collections/14922/
- People vs. Owen Bathhouse Closure Litigation, 1984-1987
(SFPL SFH 31) https://calisphere.org/collections/26990/
- AIDS History Project — Ephemera Collection, 1981-2002, MSS 2000-31 (posters) https://calisphere.org/collections/466/
The San Francisco Bay Area’s Response to the AIDS Epidemic has been made possible in part by a major grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor.